Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Paper Towns review

To whom it may concern:


Hi everybody.


Well I thought I would pop in a review before bed. But first I wanted to share an important piece of my life. My sister was watching Must Love Dogs tonight on TV, and I occasionally poked my head in to see what was going on. I gleaned two important thoughts from what I saw of Must Love Dogs, number one: TV movies are destructive to brain cells, an number two: dogs are awesome. So instead of frying my brain trying to understand the plot connections of TV movie writers, I played with my pooches. And then I dug up some pictures of them to share with all of you.



Aren't they cute?


Anyway, tonight I am reviewing Paper Towns, by the one and only John Green, our Nerdfighters figurehead.



Paper Towns by John Green


Summary form Barnes & Noble:

"When Margo Roth Spiegelman beckons Quentin Jacobsen in the middle of the night-dressed like a ninja and plotting an ingenious campaign of revenge-he follows her. Margo's always planned extravagantly, and, until now, she's always planned solo. After a lifetime of loving Margo from afar, things are finally looking up for Q . . . until day breaks and she has vanished. Always an enigma, Margo has now become a mystery. But there are clues. And they're for Q."


Here's my take on it:


So, I will tell you right off the bat that I went into reading this book with expectations. I had some definite preconceived notions for what it would be like, thanks to Looking for Alaska and An Abundance of Katherines. I must say, I wasn't disappointed.


Paper Towns was fantastic. It was another book that, like John Green's other two, somehow magically glue themselves to your hands, you just can't put it down until the very last page. And also like Alaska and Katherines, Paper Towns was like a philosophy class in a book. The breadth and depth of the thematic elements, and the remarkable realistic way that the characters deal with them, is inspirational and compelling. It really is like philosophy in a can, just add water (don't actually add water. Water damages books.)


I give Paper Towns a whopping 4 stars. I would give it a full 5 if I hadn't read Looking for Alaska first, and as it is it probably deserves a 4 ½ . Unfortunately half a star is just an irregular hexagon.





One star: Margo Roth Spiegelman. Another fictional woman that I now have a crush on. Thank you John Green, you make my fantasies so much more ... fantastical.


One star: Florida. The armpit of the USA, and yet, by the end of the book, you actually like it, kudos to John Green, only he could make a place like Florida appealing.


One star: The idea of paper towns, paper people working paper jobs, in paper buildings. Creepy, deep, awesome. Also, the actual definition of a paper town, quite cool as well. Trust mapmakers to do crazy stuff like that.


One star: The road trip. Funny, so true, well written. Makes me wish gas was less expensive.


An invisible ½ a star: The feeling you have right after finishing the book, usually summed up in this exclamation: Woah.


Alright, with that, I am calling it a night. I'll go give my dogs a pat on the head for all of you.


Until next I write,

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment